Andy learns Age of Pigmar

Talk about anything Warhammer Fantasy related.

Moderators: Lupus, LeemanRuss, Marklar

Andydavies
Lord of Pigmar
Name: Andy

Andy learns Age of Pigmar

Postby Andydavies » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:20 pm

So Jamie and I had our first crack at Age of Sigmar and I thought I might ramble for a bit about it.

I had carried out a cursory glance over the rules in preparation and picked a nice selection of different types of troops from the daemon and warrior books just to get in the spirit of things.

In retrospect the game would have flowed a little better if I had read the rules properly but it's quite good fun making them up as you go along. We had them just about nailed down by the end of the second game.

We went for 50 wounds as our only real limitation and I tried to pick stuff that wouldn't break the game. It would have been very easy to be very silly but I went for...

Festus the leechlord
Plaguebearer herald
12 plaguebearers
5 putrid blight kings
Chimera

Jamie was at a bit of a disadvantage because he had no wizards so that meant I could quite merrily cast all my spells, but fortunately they didn't do very much (I ended up just casting bolt repeatedly for d3 mortal wounds a turn).

Everything has lots of wounds, which in a big game might lead to a fair amount of book keeping. You lose wounds all over the place with even things like skinks knocking wounds off the blight kings in combat.

If we had got in a third game I think Jamie would have backed off/baselined and caused a lot more damage with his shooting; as it was both our games saw pretty much our whole armies locked in combat from turn 2. As it turned out my army was harder in combat (especially since we missed that kroxigor do double damage...).

Combat felt a bit fiddly with bases all over the place and figures balanced on rocks/trees. I guess this is normal to 40k players but I think it would be impossible to be too picky about measuring in this game. Things seemed to flow better by just 'fudging' it. Not sure how well that would go down in a tournament...

It was exciting to play something different with my warhammer figures as it's the only game I play really. 8th edition had got pretty samey and looks like it will stay the same for ever now! A change is as good as a rest, I guess.

It'll be interesting to see what the tournament organisers to with list building. For the moment it's quite liberating just picking random figures without thinking too much about it!

Looking forward to getting some more games in. Got the boxed game coming this weekend so more chaos toys, with round bases!

Next game is versus Ewan, I might try and see if there's some tactics to this Age of Sigmar business. Maybe.

Roper
Lord of Pigmar
Name: Paul

Re: Andy learns Age of Pigmar

Postby Roper » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:06 am

The 'slingshot' charge that gives units a reliable 10" charge, not organising your units in blobs but as a curve, using a checker-board layout and assigning wounds to frontal models in order to 'reverse' a charge... There's plenty of tactics available in a simple ruleset - most difficult bit is 'forgetting' the old WFB staples in order to see them.
I could have been a hero- but I chose to be a legend...
I respect your right to use special characters if you respect my right to punch you in the nuts.

Roper
Lord of Pigmar

Postby Roper » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:21 am

Screening also becomes really good. Advance a good offense unit behind a smaller good defensive unit - enemy piles in, can only attack the defensive unit, then the offensive unit have now been given a 'charge' so can pile in behind them.
I respect your right to use special characters if you respect my right to punch you in the nuts.

KevH
Lord of Pigmar
Name: Kevin

Postby KevH » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:50 pm

The Daemon Warscroll pack has Cohort Organisations in the back, one for each Chaos god, are these in the other warscrolls also? Has anyone tried using these as a basis for begininning to balance games, maybe in conjunction with wound count? It seems they are based around themes but I see no reason you could not bulk them out with other models and just not extend the cohort benefits to these...?

Roper
Lord of Pigmar

Postby Roper » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:25 pm

They do exist for other races, but they're fluffy, not balancing.
I've already seen any number of attempts to work out 'values' for each unit type, buy they all tend to fail massively (one I saw rated goblins as only fractionally worse than Black Orcs).

AoS isn't intended to be balanced by army composition (although we're looking at wounds to determine Sudden death), the primary balance driver is supposed to be "really? REALLY? Well, thanks for not telling me you were a f***knuckle before we started setting up."
There are specific scenarios coming which look like there will be a 'guide' for each on warscrolls limitations, but it'll never be a finely-tuned affair, which for me is part of the appeal.

Andydavies
Lord of Pigmar

Postby Andydavies » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Roper wrote:The 'slingshot' charge that gives units a reliable 10" charge, not organising your units in blobs but as a curve, using a checker-board layout and assigning wounds to frontal models in order to 'reverse' a charge... There's plenty of tactics available in a simple ruleset - most difficult bit is 'forgetting' the old WFB staples in order to see them.

Definitely a few tactics to try. I was always removing casualties from the back without thinking about removing my unit from the range of other attacks. Old warhammer habits die hard!

KevH wrote:The Daemon Warscroll pack has Cohort Organisations in the back, one for each Chaos god, are these in the other warscrolls also? Has anyone tried using these as a basis for begininning to balance games, maybe in conjunction with wound count? It seems they are based around themes but I see no reason you could not bulk them out with other models and just not extend the cohort benefits to these...?

Yeah, need to give these a go, didn't seem to have the right combination of figures for the Warriors.

May try the actual rules for choosing armies next game. A novel idea!

Andydavies
Lord of Pigmar

Postby Andydavies » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:36 pm

Now four games in and I'm beginning to get the hang of the rules. Took the same list on the last two games:

Nurgle Lord on daemon steed
Sorcerer Lord
30 marauders
6 trolls
5 putrid blight kings
9 chaos Knights
10 marauder horsemen

Against Ewan's high elves i was basically shot off the table and the few that made it across were mopped up by a massive unit of Phoenix guard. Decided I needed a hell cannon or two in the list to deal with the bolt throwers who wrecked my army. Great game: Ewan thought it was unbalanced but I think I just failed to deal with the shooting properly. I was wiped out in about 6 turns.

Against Rich's lizardmen was the first time I've come across summoning. I realised pretty quickly that once again I needed the hell cannons for some range as Rich could cast up 3 units a turn and there was nothing I could do about it. To be fair, I think they were just a distraction and I was tabled again. Razordon shooting was awesome.

Definitely up for trying some scenarios next.

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy”