Competitive Age of Sigmar!

Talk about anything Warhammer Fantasy related.

Moderators: Lupus, LeemanRuss, Marklar

XavierM
Name: Tom O

Competitive Age of Sigmar!

Postby XavierM » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:08 am

Warhammer Border Patrol Champion 2013!

Roper
Lord of Pigmar
Name: Paul

Re: Competitive Age of Sigmar!

Postby Roper » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:04 pm

That's just a GW staffer's idea to stop list-benders crying though.
Pretty clear now that the mission statement for AoS is that officially, there's nothing to facilitate competitive. They want cinematic.
I could have been a hero- but I chose to be a legend...
I respect your right to use special characters if you respect my right to punch you in the nuts.

Ewan
Pigmar Initiate
Name: Ewan

Postby Ewan » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:05 pm

It's a bit ridiculous, using wounds as a way to balance will mean Sigmarines and Chaos will be far and away the best armies. 50 Goblins are not going to compare to 50 Phoenix Guard, they both have 50 wounds and Phoenix Guard don't have any special key words like monster, hero or war machine so aren't restricted.

Sigmarines and Chaos are going to be even stronger because they are even more elite. A great way to shift that starter set from GW's point of view.

Roper
Lord of Pigmar

Postby Roper » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:29 am

I think another issue with 'balancing' is it's pretty obvious the mechanics of the game revolve around bonuses, disadvantages and optimising unit sizes. Synergy is a big, BIG part of AoS, and a lot of granteds from WFB don't exist any more. Characters and monsters are far easier to deal with than they were previously, and threat assessment is very different. For a simple example, a necromancer, corpse cart and 10 zombies will very quickly become a threat that will grind anything to dust if you don't make the right choices. Instead of dealing with the monkeys, you have to go after the organ grinders.
I respect your right to use special characters if you respect my right to punch you in the nuts.

XavierM
Name: Tom O

Postby XavierM » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:59 am

I'm happy that someone is at least trying to help with army selection. I really want to like the game, but I can't get past army building.

Kev and I had a go on Friday. Around 60 wounds each wood elves vs nurgle daemons. It looked fair on the battlefield. It was ok, but I didn't find it tactical at all and the game looked messy. It was quicker than 8th, and will be easier to explain to my future offspring.

I'm willing to wait and see in a few years what it may become. Right now though, my favourite game system is now unsupported and that sucks.

Warhammer Border Patrol Champion 2013!

Roper
Lord of Pigmar

Postby Roper » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:30 am

I do worry that attempts to create a balancing system for a game that is not designed for that to be done arbitrarily will result in even less balance than doing it 'by eye' or will just turn others off.
I totally get why people are suss about AoS but what we've seen of the Stormcast warscrolls gives a clue to the future game design; there's no 'better' standard weapon option for troops e.g. harder hitting means fewer attacks, less range or harder to hit, but the obviously better weapons are limited to 1 per X troops, etc.

The battlescrolls we've seen are patches for backwards compatibility for units people already had and had constructed to fit a different ruleset, and I don't think are a true indicator of where the game is going.

WH world are running an AoS event in September so will be interested to see the rules pack for that, but I'm betting it's scenarios and cinema, not lists and grand strategy.

In the meantime, I think we're going to have to face up to the fact that 8th edition is the new BloodBowl. Still popular, still played, but not supported - but not necessarily 'dead'.

Just please don't burn your army. Unless you find yourself reading Kings of War and thinking 'hmm, I like this'..

Ankers666
Name: David Ankers

Postby Ankers666 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:26 pm

I can say now im living in Liverpool that the basic consensus is that people like the game but want a competitive rulepack over this starter pack they have released :) same groans in liverpool and in exeter as i read here
For the might of dorn

Adastra
Lord of Pigmar
Name: Tim

Postby Adastra » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:28 pm

I'm curious how many of those playing AoS are using this (or other things similar) to give them a structure for building an army? and how many of you are just setting a wound limit with no other limits?

When me and Tom played we used the above linked pack for a 100 wound game, but i'd like to know about any others you have come across and any thoughts on them? (links to other army composition systems would be great)
"Play more games" - Wil Wheaton

Game Record

Age of Sigmar,
Duardin,
Played: 2
Won: 0
Lost: 2
Thought was a stupid game: 2

Andydavies
Lord of Pigmar
Name: Andy

Postby Andydavies » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:25 pm

This one is being used at clash of swords (the document is at the bottom of the first post):

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3&t=130160

They are picking armies with a 'pool' of 30 and then each game choosing 20 to deploy depending on opponents.

I'd like to give it a go!

There is also this from the heelanhammer folks:

http://heelanhammer.com/?p=34

Roper
Lord of Pigmar

Postby Roper » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:42 pm

Adastra wrote:I'm curious how many of those playing AoS are using this (or other things similar) to give them a structure for building an army? and how many of you are just setting a wound limit with no other limits?

When me and Tom played we used the above linked pack for a 100 wound game, but i'd like to know about any others you have come across and any thoughts on them? (links to other army composition systems would be great)

Haven't used anything at all, and currently no plans to. Granted, little limited on model choice right now, but even once that is remedied I don't think that will change. Kinda enjoyed the rollercoaster of "feckfeckfeckI'mlosingthisisn'tfair" to "hahahahahaaaeatit!"

Interesting to note that the Heelanhammer document also mentions that scenarios over pitched battles seems the better way to play.

Adastra
Lord of Pigmar
Name: Tim

Postby Adastra » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:02 am

Thanks Andy i'll have a read of those too.
"Play more games" - Wil Wheaton

Game Record

Age of Sigmar,
Duardin,
Played: 2
Won: 0
Lost: 2
Thought was a stupid game: 2

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy”