The Ninth age

Talk about anything Warhammer Fantasy related.

Moderators: Lupus, LeemanRuss, Marklar

Eternal flitter
Name: Jack

The Ninth age

Postby Eternal flitter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:52 pm

So the very first (0.1 Alpha) version of the community produced core rules for fantasy are up. You can find them at http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/index.php?news/7-the-9th-age-version-0-1-alpha/. They've been produced mainly by the group behind the Swedish comp system, but also a few other players from around the world including the ETC teams. There is a subforum on TWF (here: http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=98) where they are taking C&C but it looks like that might migrate to their own webspace in due course.

Let's face it nothing's perfect, but there is likely t be some sort of a Bretonnian "book" soonish, which will be fun anyway. This is obviously a really early first collection of ideas so let's just see what comes of it, and if you really don't like something you can just go ahead and say so in one of the threads
Painted in 2014: As far as I can tell 143
Painted in 2015: 66
Painted in 2016: 12

Duke_of_Krondor
Name: James Wiggins

Re: The Ninth age

Postby Duke_of_Krondor » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:21 pm

Interesting to see what people are thinking and good for people for looking for a way to enjoy their games. It seems to need a lot of work still as, even at a glance, lore attributes for magic seem really broken. It is in alpha but I think it's a good demonstration that maybe the community doesn't have all the answers like they think they do. I hope they end up with a solid game and don't fall foul of any IP issues.

Edit: After further reading I'm going to say this....They have some good ideas about format for clarity but they don't know what the word decimate means and that makes me sad :( I would happily come out of any warhammer match decimated (although I'm aware that common parlance has changed the meaning, it still makes me sad).
Murphy's Laws of Combat (excerpts);
- If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid
- Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder
- Field experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

Eternal flitter

Postby Eternal flitter » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:34 pm

Most of the guys working on this don't speak English as their native language and I've picked up one or two wording issues too. You are meant to use the ETC FAQ along with this which in actual fact doesn't change the game as much as spell out a lot of the common sense rulings we as reasonable players generally use. For my part that is what I want it to be: clear up one or two issues (make ridden monsters viable and find a way to make the 6th spells interesting and not no-brainers), and if they can produce a new, interesting, fluffy Brettonnian "book" that would too be awesome.

Also, I'm not saying we should adopt this at Pigmar, or even that I'll play a game of it at all, but I will be keeping an eye on it to see what they come up with.

Duke_of_Krondor
Name: James Wiggins

Postby Duke_of_Krondor » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:48 pm

Oh, more power to them for trying it but I think there's some inherent issues with their first draft...but it is alpha 0.1 so we'll see what makes the 'release'
Murphy's Laws of Combat (excerpts);
- If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid
- Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder
- Field experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

Eternal flitter

Postby Eternal flitter » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:33 pm

So the Beta actual release is done with a "Ravening hordes" style file as well. Magic has been reworked with some tweaking that I think is actually quite good for the most part. Anyway, make up your own minds, it's a free country. :mrgreen:

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?simple-page/

Eternal flitter

Postby Eternal flitter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:43 pm

0.9 Beta dropped on the 2nd of November with full rulebook and all 16 army books! This is the first set of rules which are probably fairly solid and won't change too drastically aside from some tweaking. Battlescribe files are on the way too.

Niarg
Hero of Pigmar
Name: Rich

Postby Niarg » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:58 pm

I have to say I'm really enjoying this, it feels like everyone is paying for what they get and the units that had very good abilities have either been toned down or had a big price increase.
Magic has been balanced out quite a lot as well. All the lores feel like they've got something going for them and the really nasty spells have been toned down a bit.
Best of all, it feels like you can bring along any units as long as you've got a plan for them.

The only disadvantage is that I've only been playing Jack so far, are there any other people interested in 9th age?

Adastra
Lord of Pigmar
Name: Tim

Postby Adastra » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:33 am

Rich i'll email you about this later on.
"Play more games" - Wil Wheaton

Game Record

Age of Sigmar,
Duardin,
Played: 2
Won: 0
Lost: 2
Thought was a stupid game: 2

Jamiehinds
Name: Jamie Hinds

Postby Jamiehinds » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:25 pm

Is the effect of Reign of Confusion meant to read;

"Target cannot benefit from either “Inspiring Presence”
or “Hold Your Ground”."

Or

"Target can benefit from neither “Inspiring Presence”
nor “Hold Your Ground”.

Screenshot (20).png
Treasurer.

Eternal flitter

Postby Eternal flitter » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:42 pm

Yes it is. I.e. whilst under the effect of the spell the unit cannot use IP and it also cannot use HYG.

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy”