A bit of help with casting a part

Use this forum to discuss all aspects of painting and modelling

Moderators: Lupus, LeemanRuss, Marklar

ironside_online
Pigmar Initiate
Name: Alistair

A bit of help with casting a part

Postby ironside_online » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:15 am

I bought an unbuilt Tau XV9 Hazard battlesuit from eBay but it was missing a vital, but small, part (one of the two the shoulder connectors).

I contacted the seller and they contacted Forge World, but they had no luck getting the part sent out (which I kinda find hard to believe).

Anyway, the suit was a steal and I'm going to keep it, but I'm going to need to make a replacement shoulder joint.

I wonder if any of you at the club have experience with copying parts and could help me with some advice? I believe I could use greenstuff to copy the connector, but I could do with some help. I can bring it along on Tuesday night if anyone can help me.

Cheers in advance,

Alistair
"As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws."

Lupus
Voice of Pigmar
Name: Jez

Re: A bit of help with casting a part

Postby Lupus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:34 pm

Bring it along chap and we can have a look. You could well get away with Greenstuff or even using insta mold.
Hail to the Chief..

Eternal flitter
Name: Jack

Postby Eternal flitter » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Never personally used it but I've heard good things about insta mould. So two votes for that route.
Painted in 2014: As far as I can tell 143
Painted in 2015: 66
Painted in 2016: 12

ironside_online
Pigmar Initiate
Name: Alistair

Postby ironside_online » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:43 pm

Thanks guys.

I'll come in this Tuesday with the XV9 for some advice. It'll also be a chance to have a look at the club.
"As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws."

Adastra
Lord of Pigmar
Name: Tim

Postby Adastra » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:52 am

carfully check that the bit you are casting isn't "handed" as it may not be immediately obvious untill you try to assemble it with 2 left handed shoulder pivots.

I mould the detail bits for my props using RTV silicon, but it's a bit more involved and you'd only need a fraction of the silicon you'd have to order. I'd offer to mould it up for you but at the moment i've not got any supplies in, run everything down in prep for moving house and workshop in a month or so.
"Play more games" - Wil Wheaton

Game Record

Age of Sigmar,
Duardin,
Played: 2
Won: 0
Lost: 2
Thought was a stupid game: 2

Return to “Painting & Modelling Discussion”